Sunday, May 1, 2011

France Trip: Day 1 Dover to Calais


White Cliffs of Dover

We begin our holiday with a ferry ride to Calais, France. We stayed at a bed and breakfast by the ferry terminal the night before. The plan is to camp out with the Boy Scouts for the weekend in Normandy, and then we have reserved a gite for the week. We also have reservations for a cabin near Versailles for the following weekend so we can see Paris.

Ferry leaving Dover to Calais, France
Angie: We had a great breakfast at the B&B. It was a great place to stay for the night before heading off on the ferry. It was much easier to go through customs and get on the ferry than I thought. The ferry ride went quickly. We ate lunch, went to the ship stores, and let Misty play in the toddler area. We arrived in camp with plenty of time to setup, get comfy, and enjoy the company of our friends before we crashed for the night. It was very cold that night, so I was glad we have arctic sleeping bags.



Lexi: 
Warning: Do not talk to anyone in France unless you speak French!
We just got off the ferry. My parents say it will take at least 3 hours to get there (I think it will be 4 because of traffic). OMG, something so funny just happened. Ok I had to go to the bathroom and I forgot we were in France and I asked the lady in front of me if this was the line for the bathroom. She was like HUH?!? It was so funny. Though I feel so bad for the lady. Now after (7 hours) we got to the camp. Now I get to help my dad set-up our tent. 

Neil:
This trip was AWESOME!! On Day 1 we set up camp and played.

Ray:

This trip was made possible by the Boy Scouts of America. Neil’s new troop has been planning a spring camporee on Omaha Beach for 3 years. We were able to get in on it, but because this was also Angie and Mine Anniversary weekend we decided to make a family vacation out of the trip.

As a warning to the casual or unwary reader, my Grandfather was on Omaha beach on June 6, 1944 but has always been incredibly tight lipped of his entire time in, so I was particularly interested in the historic side of the D-Day landings as seen through the eyes of the locals and the historical markers; this may possibly come out in my writings and ramblings.

Dover Castle
We started this trip a day earlier than the troop as we wanted to avoid driving through rush hour London traffic. We spent Thursday night in a bed and breakfast in Dover. Before sunrise Friday I went up the hill to get pictures of the castle at Dover as the sun rose and shone upon it. The typical British weather kept that form happening the way I wanted, but I still managed to get a few shots. Friday morning we left on a ferry TO FRANCE! Pulling away we saw the white cliffs of Dover. Up close these looked like just any other hill or rock pile, but as we pulled away we realized that from a distance the rock look all white. That is one of the many world renowned landmarks I want to see in my life. It was taller and stretched further than I thought it would, but there was more port facilities in the way than I would have liked to have been there.

Once in France we drove to the campsite without any of the hassles we thought we would experience. It goes without saying then, that we used our SatNav Sally. Neil setup his own tent and someone else’s in the time it took me to erect my tent and setup the sleeping arrangements. He has done a lot of growing up and learning since he joined Scouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment